50 EA games will have their servers shut down

Ninetails

50 EA games will have their servers shut down

Post by Ninetails »

Sad day for gaming
Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... -shut-down
More than 50 games will see their servers shut down at the end of June, EA has announced, including Crysis 2, Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 2142.

Battlefield 2, we salute you.
The move comes as hosting service GameSpy is set to cease operations at the end of this month. The full list of EA games to go offline lies below.

It's not the first we've heard of such big-name EA games being affected, but EA previously said it was working on a "transitioning" solution for its Battlefield series.

Sadly, EA's search does not appear to have been successful - although the company has spoken of looking to fans to help preserve the online future of certain titles.

"Since GameSpy's announcement, our teams have been working to evaluate options to keep services up and running," EA wrote on its official site. "Unfortunately, due to technical challenges and concerns about the player experience, we do not have a solution at this time. Online services for EA games on the GameSpy platform will be closed down at the end of June.

"We know some of these games are still fan favorites, including Battlefield 2, Battlefield 1942, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault and Command & Conquer games. We are still investigating community-supported options to preserve online functionality for these titles, such as multiplayer. Significant technical hurdles remain, and at this time we don't have anything to announce."

Another message listed more practical reasons why the games were being switched off.

"As games get replaced with newer titles, the number of players still enjoying the older games dwindles to a level - typically fewer than 1 per cent of all peak online players across all EA titles - where it's no longer feasible to continue the behind-the-scenes work involved with keeping these games up and running.

"We would rather our hard-working engineering and IT staff focus on keeping a positive experience for the other 99 per cent of customers playing our more popular games. We hope you have gotten many hours of enjoyment out of the games and we appreciate your ongoing patronage."

The GameSpy shutdown has had far-reaching consequences, with hundreds of games set to be affected. Rockstar has stepped in to save some - but not all - of its back catalogue, while Nintendo has elected to end online support for all Wii and DS games.

Online service GameRanger has stepped in to save others, meanwhile, including Halo 1 on PC and Star Wars: Battlefront 2.

EA games to go offline 30th June

Battlefield 1942 for PC and Mac (including The Road to Rome and Secret Weapons of WW2 expansions)
Battlefield 2 for PC (including Special Forces expansion)
Battlefield 2: Modern Combat for PlayStation 2
Battlefield 2142 for PC and Mac (including Northern Strike expansion)
Battlefield Vietnam for PC
Bejeweled 2 for the Wii
Bulletstorm for PlayStation 3
Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars for PC and Mac (including Kane's Wrath expansion)
Command & Conquer: Generals for PC and Mac (including Zero Hour expansion)
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 for PC and Mac
Crysis 2 for PC
Crysis for PC
Crysis Wars for PC
Dracula - Undead Awakening for the Wii
Dragon Sakura for Nintendo DS
EA Sports 06 for PC
F1 2002 for PC
FIFA Soccer 08 (KOR) for the Wii
FIFA Soccer 08 for Nintendo DS
FIFA Soccer 09 for Nintendo DS
FIFA Soccer 10 for Nintendo DS
FIFA Street 3 for Nintendo DS
Full Spectrum Warrior: Ten Hammers for PlayStation 2
Global Operations for PC
Green Day Rock Band for the Wii
James Bond: Nightfire for PC
Madden NFL 08 for Nintendo DS
Madden NFL 09 for Nintendo DS
Master of Orion 3 for PC
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault for PC and Mac (including Breakthrough and Spearhead expansions)
MySims Party for Wii
MySims Racing for Nintendo DS
MySims SkyHeroes for the Wii and DS
NASCAR Sim Racing for PC
NASCAR Thunder 2003 for PC
NASCAR Thunder 2004 for PC
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 for PC
Need for Speed: ProStreet for Nintendo DS
Need for Speed: Undercover for Nintendo DS
Neverwinter Nights 2 for PC and Mac
Neverwinter Nights for PC, Mac and Linux (including Hordes of the Underdark and Shadows of Undrentide expansions)
SimCity Creator for Wii
Skate It for Nintendo DS
Sneezies for the Wii
Spore Creatures for Nintendo DS
Spore Hero Arena for Nintendo DS
Star Wars: Battlefront for PC and PlayStation 2
Star Wars: Battlefront II for PC and PlayStation 2
The BEatles Rockband for the Wii
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08 for Nintendo DS
S_hift

Re: 50 EA games will have their servers shut down

Post by S_hift »

Image <--Click here to subscribe to S_hift's youtube
Click here for full access to all my tribes downloads
Owner
Site Admin

Post by Owner »

Are these game servers or like Master Servers for pinging games server in the list like tribes....?

Thanks!

Owner
Ninetails

Post by Ninetails »

Owner wrote:Are these game servers or like Master Servers for pinging games server in the list like tribes....?

Thanks!

Owner
Yes, also a login system and storage of stats.
Owner
Site Admin

Post by Owner »

Is there a way i can get all this info and host of it off my dedicated server. I have plenty of room. xD I wish

Thanks!

Owner
DaJ4ck3L
Crow{OZ}

Post by DaJ4ck3L »

Owner wrote:Is there a way i can get all this info and host of it off my dedicated server. I have plenty of room. xD I wish

Thanks!

Owner
You should move your server to Chicago!!!

It really is best spot for online gaming.
AnniDv6

Post by AnniDv6 »

That sucks. I bought the Crysis games during the last Steam sale and haven't had a chance to play them yet. Was their online play good? The Battlefront, Battlefield, Medal of Honor and CC Zero Hour servers going down is also a bummer. I hope those games have a big enough fan following that somebody steps up and hosts servers. Also good god release a new battlefront game already, EA. inb4 they make one and it's an mmo or moba.
{SW}SkyWalker

Post by {SW}SkyWalker »

the only game i care about it BattleFront for The PC! Argh oh well on to playing it on 360 at a friends!
No matter how long I stay away from this game I will never forget the stuff this game and community forged onto my heart!
{LS}RePublic

Post by {LS}RePublic »

So gonna miss Starwars Battlefront and Battlefield 1942. Still waiting on the release of Battlefront 3 lol
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Owner, I seriously doubt your server can handle the demand of replacing gamespy.