hurr durr 3dfx

{LS}RePublic

Re: hurr durr 3dfx

Post by {LS}RePublic »

Anyone remember these? They were apparently all the rage back then. sigh.
It was sold to me as damaged, but with a bit of expertise I was able repair it with a soldering iron.
Its actrually a ATI Rage Fury MAXX, AMD's first dual GPU Crossfire solution, as that goes in saying it was expensive at the time and sold poorly.
However for any chance of the 2 GPU's to cooperate properly, It needs to run on Windows 98 which fucking sucks coz I tried that shit and it still crashes like fuck.
Anyone who had one of these cards couldn't upgrade to Windows 2000 because AMD couldn't fix their drivers.
Attachments
20140923_153917(0).jpg
Last edited by {LS}RePublic on Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaJ4ck3L
Crow{OZ}

Post by DaJ4ck3L »

bump for mad dog
S_hift

Post by S_hift »

i started tribes on a windows 98 with a ati rage 128 pro.
Image <--Click here to subscribe to S_hift's youtube
Click here for full access to all my tribes downloads
DaJ4ck3L
Crow{OZ}

Post by DaJ4ck3L »

i had a compaq

S_hift

Post by S_hift »

why the fire extinguisher? lol btw nice inception.
DaJ4ck3L
Crow{OZ}

Post by DaJ4ck3L »

lol that not my picture, but i did own pc like that one.
young master

Post by young master »

vistalize wrote:Just to let you guys know. The 3dfx Voodoo card is the best card for Tribes 1 gaming. Period. Fuck your 1.4 fuck all ur bases because if I had a old comp with a 3dfx Voodoo card I would own all of you in about 2 seconds.

Gotta love Tree, he says it like it is. :)
S_hift

Post by S_hift »

^Image
AnniDv6

Post by AnniDv6 »

I had something similar to that with a turbo button and I had no idea what it really did. I remember those speakers though.
The button provided a two-fold purpose in it's original day.

In the days of the IBM PC-XT, the first of the clone/competitors was Compaq. Rather than simply clone the original machine, they changed the clock crystal and doubled the performance from 4.77 MHz to a blazing 8 Mhz. (hey, when's the last time you saw an increase of THAT magnitude!!!)

As noted, some of the early programs were timing critical (like FORMAT.COM) and messing with the clock simply caused problems. An easy fix was the Turbo button - which slowed the machine down to the original 4.77 Mhz. Armed with that, all programs worked.

On the flip side, Compaq (and all later clones) used it as a marketing tool, showing with one flip of the switch how much faster than IBM that THEIR machine was.

Just a side note - when IBM users found that for a couple of bucks, they TOO could double the speed of their machines by changing the clock crystal, IBM retaliated. The BIOS was re-written to time the length of the POST process. If you POSTed too fast (with anything but the original clock chip) - the machine shut down. IBM figured that you were getting too much performance for the dollars you had spent -- and were too close in performance to the next level of machine.

The early days of IBM were an ongoing story of limiting the user.

Hope you enjoyed the trip down memory lane......