Portable generators

perrinoia
Site Admin

Re: Portable generators

Post by perrinoia »

Nah, it actually seems to be better balanced now, because mobile inventories stations don't need generators, so you can rape the enemy base and still walk into a newly deployed turret trap on your way out.

Camping jailers would be a problem regardless of base rape. This way, if you've set up a mobile inventory station, you can get in heavy and just walk around spitting hot fire around every corner until you flush the fucker out.
Firelord

Post by Firelord »

Yeah all the people I see that are complaining in here are good players who this won't be an issue for. Everyones perfectly capable of placing a mobile inventory behind a blastwall. EvilTree, I saw that last post before you deleted it. You're one of the better Tribes players. Maybe it's because you haven't been playing much lately, but you won't ever have a problem with not having power.

Are you concerned for newer players? I have been playing quite a bit the last few months and I'm telling you, the lack of portable gens is rarely an issue for anyone. Whenever someone IS getting raped, they would still be getting raped even if they had a gen set up.

Even on maps when the teams are stacked, the shittier team tends to still maintain power and access to an inventory. Yes, they're still getting wrecked by snipers and can barely leave their base, but that has always been a part of anni.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Preach!
SGT ROCK

Post by SGT ROCK »

I think you're missing a point or two...

First- Many players liked it as it was and have expressed that, I've stated my personal views on this when it first came about... I'm with ETree's faction though, we need pgens. ( I understand the coding problems and the fact that it's needs fixed, but hopefully the Pgen hasn't been written off yet ) True the defenses can be very challenging and with the addition of working vortex turrets even more so. The point here though is with power and concentrated efforts by multiple heavys those defenses can be taken down enough for a flag grab at least and I've seen 2-3 good heavy players lay waste to good D set ups and rape gens and pgens. It does take teamwork though and sometimes requires a pitchfork and/or shield.

Second- Mobile Invs. do nothing to restore base defense power and radar. Base defenses aren't that big of an obstacle but it takes an offensive player(s) time and effort to disable them. They don't need to be re-deployed just repaired and they do make a difference, some maps not so much but some maps quite a bit. With radar down constantly it makes it easier to cham or ghost and seal up a base to keep players from making a breakout to fight back.

The balance of the game was good, why screw with that??? Balance IMHO is a fine line and a very important factor in THIS game and it's playability. When you consider everything else you lose due to lack of Pgens/power ... radar, rocket turrets, vehicles ?, shock trts, elevators, etc. (there might be some I've overlooked too), mobile inventories do not make up for that complete loss of power.

Now I know some of you guys really like playing in light armor and rush raping then playing cham or necro or whatever and this really helps you play the game as you like it to be played. That's fine and dandy I like it too sometimes but if I want to play base there are other servers for that and we even have maps for that type of play, just vote it in if most are willing you get what you want. THIS IS A MOD though with many great weps, deployables and multitudes of options to have fun with. The player base we have, have chosen to play here, in a MOD that's like base on steroids, they like to play the MOD with the attributes it has. Many regs have pretty much said so...

To leave the pgen out when lights can successfully rape a base over and over for a whole map is not taking advantage of the mods options, it's like playing a superman game and not being able to fly.... it's just NOT RIGHT.

Thank you for your time...

I rest my case....
"Some of you young men think that war is all glamour and glory, but let me tell you, boys, it is all hell!"
-General William T. Sherman

vistalize

Post by vistalize »

SGT ROCK wrote:I think you're missing a point or two...

First- Many players liked it as it was and have expressed that, I've stated my personal views on this when it first came about... I'm with ETree's faction though, we need pgens. ( I understand the coding problems and the fact that it's needs fixed, but hopefully the Pgen hasn't been written off yet ) True the defenses can be very challenging and with the addition of working vortex turrets even more so. The point here though is with power and concentrated efforts by multiple heavys those defenses can be taken down enough for a flag grab at least and I've seen 2-3 good heavy players lay waste to good D set ups and rape gens and pgens. It does take teamwork though and sometimes requires a pitchfork and/or shield.

Second- Mobile Invs. do nothing to restore base defense power and radar. Base defenses aren't that big of an obstacle but it takes an offensive player(s) time and effort to disable them. They don't need to be re-deployed just repaired and they do make a difference, some maps not so much but some maps quite a bit. With radar down constantly it makes it easier to cham or ghost and seal up a base to keep players from making a breakout to fight back.

The balance of the game was good, why screw with that??? Balance IMHO is a fine line and a very important factor in THIS game and it's playability. When you consider everything else you lose due to lack of Pgens/power ... radar, rocket turrets, vehicles ?, shock trts, elevators, etc. (there might be some I've overlooked too), mobile inventories do not make up for that complete loss of power.

Now I know some of you guys really like playing in light armor and rush raping then playing cham or necro or whatever and this really helps you play the game as you like it to be played. That's fine and dandy I like it too sometimes but if I want to play base there are other servers for that and we even have maps for that type of play, just vote it in if most are willing you get what you want. THIS IS A MOD though with many great weps, deployables and multitudes of options to have fun with. The player base we have, have chosen to play here, in a MOD that's like base on steroids, they like to play the MOD with the attributes it has. Many regs have pretty much said so...

To leave the pgen out when lights can successfully rape a base over and over for a whole map is not taking advantage of the mods options, it's like playing a superman game and not being able to fly.... it's just NOT RIGHT.

Thank you for your time...

I rest my case....
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Get your head out of your asses people and bring back the portable generators.

Sgt Rock for President.
EvilTree{OZ}
Firelord

Post by Firelord »

Portable gens are dividing the community! Haha. Regardless of how we feel, the code is broken. Want them back? Fix the code. I'm fine with having them back, I am just trying to tell you that Anni is really not that different without them. If the lack of pbgens is enough to keep you away from the mod, then I don't think you really like Annihilation in the first place. Oh and on any map that has a big enough base, you should be able to set D that keeps players out the entire round. Scarabae and broadside are two examples of that. I can set impenetrable defense on both of those maps. Chems are an issue, but good luck destroying lowered blastwalls covering lasers with your sniper rifle.
Azul

Post by Azul »

Just like to point out that since the main server has been down the past few days, we have been playing on the other server (with portable gens enabled) and not one has been used. I agree with Firelord
vistalize

Post by vistalize »

Firelord wrote:Portable gens are dividing the community! Haha. Regardless of how we feel, the code is broken. Want them back? Fix the code. I'm fine with having them back, I am just trying to tell you that Anni is really not that different without them. If the lack of pbgens is enough to keep you away from the mod, then I don't think you really like Annihilation in the first place. Oh and on any map that has a big enough base, you should be able to set D that keeps players out the entire round. Scarabae and broadside are two examples of that. I can set impenetrable defense on both of those maps. Chems are an issue, but good luck destroying lowered blastwalls covering lasers with your sniper rifle.
I assure you in a map like Broadside you would not be able to stop the spawn rush without portable generators. Especially when you got Me coming from the top and Crow coming from the bottom. Run a scrim right quick and I promise you will be begging for those portable generators back.

Either way I don't play as much as I used to. I was just putting my 2 cents out there.

See the problem Firelord is you play with nothing but newbs... You cant really gauge much when you are playing with people that dont even know how to set a portable generator in the first place let alone use an inventory station. Put you in a room full of vets though.........

Well we all know from history where that leads.

EvilTree{OZ}
~Owning you since 1999
EvilTree{OZ}
Firelord

Post by Firelord »

vistalize wrote:
Firelord wrote:Portable gens are dividing the community! Haha. Regardless of how we feel, the code is broken. Want them back? Fix the code. I'm fine with having them back, I am just trying to tell you that Anni is really not that different without them. If the lack of pbgens is enough to keep you away from the mod, then I don't think you really like Annihilation in the first place. Oh and on any map that has a big enough base, you should be able to set D that keeps players out the entire round. Scarabae and broadside are two examples of that. I can set impenetrable defense on both of those maps. Chems are an issue, but good luck destroying lowered blastwalls covering lasers with your sniper rifle.
I assure you in a map like Broadside you would not be able to stop the spawn rush without portable generators. Especially when you got Me coming from the top and Crow coming from the bottom. Run a scrim right quick and I promise you will be begging for those portable generators back.

Either way I don't play as much as I used to. I was just putting my 2 cents out there.

See the problem Firelord is you play with nothing but newbs... You cant really gauge much when you are playing with people that dont even know how to set a portable generator in the first place let alone use an inventory station. Put you in a room full of vets though.........

Well we all know from history where that leads.

EvilTree{OZ}
~Owning you since 1999

I've been playing tribes as long as you and have been in tons of scrims while in OZ, S1, and other clans so I know what I can handle haha. Let's say people still scrim, and here were are in a scrimmage. I can get a mobile inv.(powered regardless of gens), 3 lasers and a vortex with a deployable platform and jump pad covering them up in less than 8 seconds. The initial spawn points on Broadside are all inside the base. This makes it easy to get up before the first wave comes. If I need to I can cut back on a laser or vortex and get that to under 6 seconds. While it's killing the first wave I can already be setting more quick D covering the area by the elevator and ready for the top guy. This D is temporary, and easier to kill with nukes etc., but it buys me time to set up more solid D. Okay I'm not sure where I'm going with this anymore, so just get on tribes so we can battle :gfive:
dawn

Post by dawn »

Good Post Rock ! :ttup: