Taxes

{LS}RePublic

Re: Taxes

Post by {LS}RePublic »

KILROY wrote:Looks like those are outside, hopefully. If not make sure you vent them. Those batteries build up enough gas to vent and you will have a problem on your hands if you have them enclosed.

EDIT: Suggest adding some battery trays under each battery, or one big one tray. Just in case they start to leak acid and go bad. The acid will destroy the foundation they are sitting on.
They claim to be maintenance free sealed lead acid batteries. But yes I am planning to find some trays for them as they are inside. I have not found battery boxes that would fit even the smaller 100ah units.

I bought the 2x100ah set for 400aud
the 2x120ah for roughly $460aud
the 2x200ah for 840aud

The Morning Star Mppt 45Amp controller was from USA for AU $529.42AUD

I got 5 solar panels for free while having to pay $400 for the other 4. 1 is in storage but I'm planning to do a smaller circuit with it.

Ive been through 2 Powertech inverters that have failed within months of purchasing; luckily under warranty. ~300aud each.
The Cotek Inverter was a good buy at $263.61AUD + 142AUD Postage from USA. It can even start/run my portable 950W Aircon.

Don't cheap out on the MPPT Controller, I bought one from eBay under 200aud that caught on fire. If I were not home I would've lost it.

All up I probably spent under just 3k if you factor in cabling and mistakes Ive made along the way. 40 Meters of twin 6mm2 cable was $174 alone. Honestly if we owned a house id just get some guys to install a 5kw system for 6k.
I've been learning along the way, id probably be able to spend less.

Not sure if a Grid Tie Inverter actually works but as Storage technology is ridiculously expensive at the moment its probably the best way of going about it.
Its 42Cents a KW on peak hour here so renewable energy is the way to go.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

WOW, NICE!! Yeah, it's a great way to go to save some $$$, but like you said, please be careful and hopefully you get the right equipment with no issue's. That fire would could have cost you everything, and to get those first panels at no COST!! WOW!! I have a bit of property and looking into doing a solar setup sometime in the future also. The county just built a 30 acre solar field near me, and I already live between two lakes that both have power plants on them with a train that delivers coal just behind my residence to both, so electricity isn't a problem here, just costs, and a solar setup would take care of a lot of that, including the electric gate opener, light, and wireless security camera I'm looking to setup at the front gate with a possible magnetic key opener so others can access the property. See, I'm thinking of converting part of the property to a trailer park to rent space out, and since I live between 2 lakes, it would make a great vacation spot for RV'ers to use. The lakes also have walking paths, bicycle paths, and paths for motocross and off road vehicles. Converting 4 1/2 acres to this could also make an easier place for one to live without having to pay property taxes, and it would be gated and secured.

The area near me that just was developed with about 6-8 houses, started at $98K US about 4 years ago. Then 2 years ago went up to $120K US, and now they are asking $150K US per house. This area is starting to develop quickly now, extremely large gas stations that handle Semi Rigs now for a layover stop, and even some fast food companies are building restaurants in the area. The small city to the south of me this last year just built it's police station and hired 2 officers to patrol the area, including the new area with the new houses. Just behind me a company opened up that makes racing fuel to deliver to the race tracks near by, or you can stop in and purchase your own to fill up your own containers. It's developed quite a bit around here in the last 5-7 years, but the city limits can't expand any further due to the lakes, so I'll be in the county forever, and never in the city limits.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Most of the money you guys are spending is gonna be on converting DC to AC... That's why I'm currently planning on sticking with all DC appliances in my boat.

I just replaced my 110V AC TV with a 12V DC TV, with an integrated DVD player.
My mother has a blender that runs on cordless drill batteries... I just need to figure out how to recharge those batteries using a 12V system.
I have a AA/AAA battery charger that plugs into USB. It's currently plugged into the back of my TV... So, my TV charges the batteries for it's own remote control, and my Microsoft Surface Arc Mouse Touch.

I've got a 4 foot, 100W, rigid solar panel, which I haven't figured out where to mount, and a 10A battery charger.
I've purchased an 80W flexible solar panel, which I'll install on the cabin top, below the boom, and a 30A battery charger, but they haven't arrived yet.

However, what HAS arrived, is my new foam floot mats!

It's so much warmer in my boat, now... I can walk barefoot on these things, and be completely comfortable, despite the fact that the wooden floor beneath is nearly frozen.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

With the solar conversion, true for the DC to AC conversion, but I already have enough to stay for a DC to DC conversion when I go camping or kayaking. You have a nice livable space which is convenient and cost effective. We have a livable area that costs much more to keep. Which is why we are looking to do the conversions for costs and savings, so we can take those savings and use them on something else for an upgrade. If I knew now what I knew before purchasing all the stuff for my property. I would have saved the money and designed and built a storage container home. I've been checking them out lately and like some of the designs I've seen online.

Like these: The first blue one is here in my home city, which I didn't know in Poteet, Texas there was a company doing these.

http://homeli.co.uk/7-creative-upcycled ... iner-homes

But this one is one I'm fond of that this guy does in the UK and sells for $40K US.

http://www.prefabcontainerhomes.org/201 ... -home.html
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

I love this one!
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Yeah, that one is pretty cool also. I'd like to find out more about that one. Not sure if the pop-outs are perm or retractable. I've seen some that were retractable in order to transport the container, or move it if needed in the future for any reasons, but the cost of the motor's used increases the price of the home considerably. I also would like to know how they sealed the extensions to keep it from leaking water, but if you do some research, you'll see some people went to extremes in stacking these to make a pretty big home out of them. You don't have to purchase these new also, you can buy them as used containers and save quite a bit. New one's can run $7-$10K for a 40'. But shipping companies have to replace them by law every so many years, and are required to get rid of the older one's they use. Which you can find and purchase for a couple of grand, depending on how much damage, rust, and salt water corrosion they acquired, but the rust and salt water corrosion can be remedied. The only problem is any physical damage, which could cause an issue if the damage is severe enough to keep you from converting it to the design you want. But if you insulate it well enough they can hold heat and just one window A/C unit can cool the whole container home, which is very cost efficient, and you can add a simple solar setup to power it all, and setup a rain water collection system. They are very self sufficient, and can save one quite a bit so you can use the savings for something else.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

According to the article, that particular container home was collapsible and therefor portable, however, the author assumes it was the most expensive, due to it's complex moving parts.

That home is approximately 40'x16'x8', thanks to it's bump outs... Compared to my sailboat, which is 32'x10.5'x7', with most of the corners rounded off and one end narrowed to a point... That container home has significantly more space than my floating home!

If I won the lottery, I'd pay someone to build a bunch of those container homes, and ship them all over the world to waterfront properties I'd buy. Doesn't matter what body of water it borders, as long as it's a large enough body of water to land a sea plane.

But before I do that, I'll need the winning lottery ticket and Elon Musk needs to launch his global Wi-Fi network, cause I don't wanna go anywhere without you guys!