flooding in houston texas

perrinoia
Site Admin

Re: flooding in houston texas

Post by perrinoia »

I just googled his address and this is what Google had to say about it...
At 0845 PM Tuesday the stage was ... Major flooding is occurring and Major flooding is forecast. Flood stage is 95.0 feet ... The river should fall below flood stage Thursday ...
Ways to stay safe now
Avoid walking or driving through flood waters. Just 6 inches of moving water can knock you down and 2 feet of water can sweep your vehicle away.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

I just checked the flood maps, and while his house is in an "AREA OF MINIMAL FLOOD HAZARD", it is surrounded by blue and even checkered areas, where floods are more likely... Depending on how high the water level is, it's quite possible that he is trapped in his neighborhood, with no utilities. Although, I imagine the on-ramp to the interstate is slightly more elevated than this map suggests, and hopefully that is safe to travel on.

Here's some drone footage of flooding shot from the other side of Houston, 25 miles south of Crow's house.
https://www.facebook.com/mark.katz.net/ ... 815326033/

PS: His yard is 102 feet above sea level, and there is a river 2365 ft away that is 90 feet above sea level.

I'm sorry.
:fpalm:
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Did you see 1:10 or 1:12 into that vid. Someone had a brand new frame up for a new house. Hopefully whoever owns that drone had it registered. New law in Texas states drones have to be registered now, just like kayaks with motors. The motor and the kayak has to be registered. Anything for income to the state.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Texas is the last state I'd expect to pass a law like that.

Well, maybe New Hampshire.

"Live free or die"!
S']['U

Post by S']['U »

The Boloblur wrote:See you guys in Texas soon. I have to go out with my unit, they pulled me from the reserve list to help in Texas for 2 weeks. I'll still be on as I have a laptop.

EDIT: I am in the National Guard, hence why I would be out there with a unit
My unit goes wherever I go. :idk:
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Mine has a mind of it own.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Houston just received another inch or inch and a half of rain today, and more rain is expected. Water raised another 2-3 feet in some areas and will continue to rise with more rain incoming.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

2-3 feet on top of how many more? How high are the waters of Spring creek (A tributary of Lake Houston).

Found this on a real estate website when searching Crow's address:
Flood Risk wrote:This home is located in a minimal flood risk area, falling outside of the 1% and 0.2% annual chance floodplains. However flooding is possible due to severe rainfall and inadequate local drainage. Flood insurance is recommended in this area, but not required by federal regulation.
Hopefully, this flood was part of the 99% chance that Crow's house will stay dry, this year.
If he's got a 1% chance of flood every year, and this flood is of historic proportions, what are the chances his house is under water?
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

I hope not. There's 4 streets with houses on either side and about 1000 feet of trees between his house and the creek...
SpydeR.
Site Admin

Post by SpydeR. »

... any word on crow at all?