Just to remind you guys

perrinoia
Site Admin

Re: Just to remind you guys

Post by perrinoia »

Dafuq you need 1GB for?

Trorbs.zip is 84MB.

Even with hd skins and 5150, you shouldn't max out a 700MB CD-R.

I think we need one friggen awesome config uploaded to a site that can handle a shit ton of traffic with no captcha or any crap like that... The site could have mirrors, and automatically redirect if it gets overwhelmed.

Then we each make several vines of awesome tribes footage with the link embedded in the video. Or keywords that, when googled, bring up our download as the first result.

Hopefully one of them goes viral and millions see the video and try to download the game.

Oh, and the installer should setup server and client shortcuts by default.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

As far as advertising revenue goes, I suggest no advertising before the visitor downloads the game, especially no ads that say, "Download here!"

Even after that, the only ads I'd want to see are banner ads for game forums.

The game forums can have as many ads as you pleebs want.
bawb

Post by bawb »

perrinoia wrote:we need one friggen awesome config uploaded to a site that can handle a shit ton of traffic with no captcha or any crap like that...
Krogoth has already offered to host files on The Exiled site, if one of you are in contact with him we can get a stable config put together and have it hosted over there.
perrinoia wrote:As far as advertising revenue goes, I suggest no advertising before the visitor downloads the game, especially no ads that say, "Download here!"

Even after that, the only ads I'd want to see are banner ads for game forums.

The game forums can have as many ads as you pleebs want.
Yeah annoying ads will deter people. The good thing about marketing is that the options are endless, we can set up all kinds of different campaigns that are tailor made to our purpose and demographic. Some will work way better than others so it will be good to try these different approaches that we are talking about and find out which ones get the best result.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

On second thought, fuck one good config. Take screenshots of each one, make a thumbnail gallery with download links, so people can choose which one looks best to them.
bawb

Post by bawb »

Great idea. Perrin do you want to be on the team?
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

I already asked where the punch bowl is.

Also, do you supply the white tennis shoes, or do I have to buy my own?
bawb

Post by bawb »

Lol I'm not jim jones. Ill send you a PM, welcome to the team!

Same with blankgirl, welcome and thank you guys for supporting this :)
:welcomep:

Consider this an open invite to everyone who is seriously interested in helping. Lets do this!
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

I'm not saying you are Jim Jones, but if the world was about to end and drinking poison to get beamed up by a ufo disguised as a comet was our only chance of survival, I'd believe you!
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

People, don't only relay this game to your friends, but you have relatives also, and they have friends. Tell them the game is free to download online, give them the links to the downloads, and you might have a pretty nice crowd of people who MAY play this online. The reason I say "MAY", is there are too many old schoolers that just play the game. When you see someone come into a server that is a newbie, take the time to help them learn the game. If not, all your going to do is deter them from playing due to them getting killed multiple times, and they won't be back. If you want the game to grow, help those who don't understand it, grow with it ;)

Like RtcLL* did the other night when he took the time to show me a flag route while in game. I appreciated that, and have come to respect him greatly as a player.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

I agree, I still remember LordOfLife teaching me how to conceal turrets back before pitchfork existed, and EcKoMaNInReD teaching me how to jump on troll grenades.

That was over a decade ago, and I probably would have rage quit for good, if I never learned those things.