Portable generators

vistalize

Portable generators

Post by vistalize »

Why did we get rid of the portable generators?

Let me give you a scenario and why they need to be brought back.

I hop on the server and the map is Blastside. The other team is getting raped bad so I join to even the odds up a bit. The gens are taken out so I go on up there and heal em up but the other team is constantly on the rush and destroying everything in their path. By the time I run all the way back to the inventory station and pick up 1 laser turret the gens are destroyed again. So I lay my laser turret down and head over there kill everyone thats in the gen room. Throw a couple of kits on the generator and head on back to the inventory. By the time I got back to the inventory guess what ? Gens are down again. And this was wash and repeated for a good 10 minutes of the game until the map ended.

Long story short when the server is full of people and the other team is getting raped... IT makes it nearly impossible to get your defenses back up. Because there is no portable generator the team getting raped is fucked. I dont get why you decide to remove them now after 10+ years of playing with the portable generators. I am all for updating the mod and doing whatever you need to do but PLEASE bring back the generators.

Thank you,
Tree
EvilTree{OZ}
virus

Re: Portable generators

Post by virus »

Someone mentioned that the current mobile inventory stations (the big ones) are self-powered. But, I see your point.
[NHOP]Virus
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Also, portable generator code was broken, and needed to be repaired. Attempts to repair made it worse, so they were removed, and they haven't been replaced because we're too busy.
Fixious

Post by Fixious »

Sometimes I like to repair the solar panel instead. The enemy never expects it!
AnniDv6

Post by AnniDv6 »

There are a few reasons they were removed. Their code not functioning correctly or at least in a logical manor was one of them.

The portable generators as you know them haven't been around for 10 years. Initially they were meant to only power things within a small radius. Also Annihilation used to be a much more balanced mod in terms of bases being taken by the enemy and then retaken by their own team. This was broken with the addition of the pitchfork.

The pitchfork caused a new style of defense where any type of wall or platform could be sunken into the ground or base such that nothing except direct hits by bullets and the particle beam could damage them. Before this it was very rare to have defense set up which could not be destroyed by explosives. You could shoot a baby nuke around a corner or throw grenades down into the entrance of Broadside and it would damage the enemy teams blast walls and force fields covering their laser turrets. Everything from Chameleon grenades to the Plasma Rifle could be used to damage the enemy defense whether it was indoors or out. Pre-pitchfork it was difficult, but not uncommon to be able to break into a teams base and destroy their portable generator.

Post-pitchfork annihilation portable generators were essentially never being destroyed because they were layered behind so many sunken turrets and also placed right near the flag that even if you were to destroy them with Chameleon or Necromancer and the teams base generators were down it had no real effect on the enemy because nobody from your own team could get into the enemy base anyway and any builder with a beacon could buy and set a new one instantly.

Without portable generators teams have to defend not just the flag and any base entrances leading to the flag, but also their base generators and possibly other entrances. Destroying the enemies power can now potentially be a large distraction and is something that helps to kill the D-stack Annihilation has found itself in. It also feels more rewarding to take out the enemy power because you might have actually accomplished something of significance.

Mobile inventories don't require power and I've left them that way intentionally. They are a little more difficult to cover with defense leaving them more venerable than portable generators were, but if you set them early in the match you really shouldn't get to the point where you cannot come back into the fight unless your team is so bad that all of this wouldn't matter anyway which is essentially the same as joining in the middle of a match and being upset that you can't make a comeback.
Lawlz

Post by Lawlz »

Damn Evil, maybe you should have defended top of base better. :younoob:

If you have at least 2 decent players who can listen to you, you can just have them repair the generators while you spawn defend the top entrance. Unless you're saying you can't kill titan's and shit in spawn....
Firelord

Post by Firelord »

Death666 wrote: Mobile inventories don't require power and I've left them that way intentionally. They are a little more difficult to cover with defense leaving them more venerable than portable generators were, but if you set them early in the match you really shouldn't get to the point where you cannot come back into the fight unless your team is so bad that all of this wouldn't matter anyway which is essentially the same as joining in the middle of a match and being upset that you can't make a comeback.
Thanks for leaving them around. They make porta gens obsolete anyways. If you're defending at the beginning, your first placement should be a mobile inventory. If you rush the flag at the beginning and cap, your second move should be to place a mobile (if your team hasn't yet). I tend to place one that is in a convenient location for everyone, then buy another and place it near where I'm setting D.

It's unfortunate that about 50% of Tribes players don't seem to know how to read the chat box or type. It would make it easier if you're getting base raped to have one guy repairing gens while you repair an inv and buy a mobile ASAP.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Yeah, I miss the days when chat was used for strategory instead of spam.

Perhaps the MOTD should advertise the teamspeak server...
TwilightSparkle

Post by TwilightSparkle »

tr;dl "we broke the game, nobody plays anymore."
vistalize

Post by vistalize »

Aite yall didnt tell me mobile invos work without gens
EvilTree{OZ}