Forum Member Pics

perrinoia
Site Admin

Re: Forum Member Pics

Post by perrinoia »

Very impressive paint skills. Headless Zoe is almost as creepy as Fish head Zoe...
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Ah, I see now STU, nice work!
vistalize

Post by vistalize »

lol
EvilTree{OZ}
DaJ4ck3L
Crow{OZ}

Post by DaJ4ck3L »

haha, and man wish i lived out there in all that open field
DESTROID

Post by DESTROID »

HOW MANY KITTENS
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Zero kittens.

Here's a recent photo of me, aboard a 108' (33 meters) sailing yacht.

Photo was taken this month, days after my 32nd birthday. I was recovering from the flu, and coughed every time I tried to smile.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Damn, really nice sailing yacht. Was it early morning, or overcast?
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Overcast.

I was working on the yacht at the shipyard, and we had just launched it... So we took it for a spin to make sure everything worked, specifically steering, since we had repacked the rudder bearings.

Turns out, the problem was at the other end of the steering mechanism... The rudder bearings were fine.
There was a joint in the steering axle, directly below the steering wheel, which needed to be replaced, and was significantly easier (cheaper) to replace than the rudder bearings.

Instead of removing the rudder, by lifting the boat with a 500 ton travel lift while holding the rudder with a fork lift, and employing 2 contractors to remove the bearings, and then reverse the process weeks later, we could have just had one person remove the joint in the ceiling of the master cabin...

Unfortunately, it took us so long to figure that out, they ran out of time, and decided to sail to saint Maarten and do it properly there.

It wasn't the fault of the shipyard, or the contractors, by the way... They were told to repack the rudder bearings, and that's exactly what they did.

The captain never bothered to check if turning the wheel was still difficult without a rudder, which would have indicated the real problem.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Well, one issue solved for any future problems, they now have newly repacked rudder bearings. The yacht looks to be used pretty frequently, so at least they don't have to worry about that issue now.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

It has 4 full time crew, so yeah... You could say it gets used frequently...

I doubt the owner uses it frequently... He's probably too busy working hard to make the millions of dollars it takes to support owning and maintaining a super yacht.

I asked the Captain why the owner keeps the boat in Newport, RI for half of the year, and he replied, "I don't know... He doesn't even like Newport that much... There is nothing to do but tour mansions, and if he wants to see a big house, he could just stay home."