Wiped Out!

The Boloblur

Re: Wiped Out!

Post by The Boloblur »

Dude, I gotta say that I am angry too. He took our death pilot away :(
S']['U

Post by S']['U »

Well I dug up an old failing HD from a few years back and it had most of my missing software, including the ones I mentioned in my first post, so I have all that back.
It also contained all my pictures up to 2004.
Unfortunately, while I was copying the picture files, the drive suddenly became unreadable and even disappeared from "My Computer" I got less than half of them.
:stu: Why is the tag for this emoticon "stu"?

Any ideas on how to get this drive reading again? I have it in an external shell and plugged in via USB.
Last edited by S']['U on Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Boloblur

Post by The Boloblur »

S']['U wrote:Well I dug up an old failing HD from a few years back and it had most of my missing software, including the ones I mentioned in my first post, so I have all that back.
It also contained all my pictures up to 2004.
Unfortunately, while I was copying the picture files, the drive suddenly became unreadable and even disappeared from "My Computer" I got less than half of them.
:stu: Why is the tag for this emoticon "stu"?

Any ideas on how to get this drive reading again? I have it in an external shell and plugged in via USB.

Try running a Linux based sweeper on it. If you have a old computer you can look for Linux sweepers that make it easy. the only other way would be to get a ultimate boot CD and plug that drive into a computer as the main boot device. the UBCD should make it able to be read, but once you start extracting if there is a corrupt file it will stop the process.
S']['U

Post by S']['U »

Really bad news......... my external drive with all my Tribes stuff has failed. I've lost years of demos, videos, pictures, maps, avatars, gifs, skins, my config.... EVERYTHING Tribes is gone... except what I have uploaded here. :shok:
{LS}RePublic

Post by {LS}RePublic »

I lost everything on a 2TB drive and it was just out of its warranty date xD
It was a backup for my other drives... and it failed lmao.
Luckily my main drives are still good.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

I don't backup anything.

If I acquired it, I can reacquire it.
If I created it, I can recreate it.

The only exception is photos and videos. They are all uploaded to facebook or youtube, though...

I can reformat any one of my computers on a whim, and have it back to normal in a couple of hours, without any backups.

That's the beauty of freeware and steam. It costs me nothing to reacquire all of my software/games.
I can recreate my maps and mods from scratch... And they improve with each iteration, too.
The Boloblur

Post by The Boloblur »

perrinoia wrote:I don't backup anything.

If I acquired it, I can reacquire it.
If I created it, I can recreate it.

The only exception is photos and videos. They are all uploaded to facebook or youtube, though...

I can reformat any one of my computers on a whim, and have it back to normal in a couple of hours, without any backups.

That's the beauty of freeware and steam. It costs me nothing to reacquire all of my software/games.
I can recreate my maps and mods from scratch... And they improve with each iteration, too.

I am the same way. I learned that from you and Tango both.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

I don't load anything up online, it's not reliable, I work in the industry, make a hard back-up always. Online software is NOT reliable, ever!
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

I understand the dangers of cloud storage, such as the fappening AKA celeb-gate, and the fact that you may no longer own your content when you upload it...

However, I'm not uploading my dick pics (sorry guys), nor am I uploading secret schematics of my proprietary moon base.

We're talking about family photos and tribes videos... Facebook and youtube provide significantly more redundancy than I can at home.

I've lost a lot of stuff that I didn't upload to the internets... But I've never lost anything I uploaded to facebook or youtube.

Also, when it comes to my operating systems, I used to always keep the original DVD as my backup, but Windows 10 doesn't come on a disc, so I hope they continue to offer that for free, because I haven't backed that up, either.
The Boloblur

Post by The Boloblur »

perrinoia wrote: so I hope they continue to offer that for free, because I haven't backed that up, either.

The Windows 10 offer ends June 30th I believe